Nutrition Specialist with Focus on the Marketing Sector
Offering a Masters in Nutrition, degree in Dietetics and a Post Graduate Degree in Marketing Management and Extensive experience as a Nutritional Consultant in the Health Media, Pharmaceutical, Retail, Restaurant and FMCG sectors with high profile international and local clients such as the dietitian for CANSA (Cancer Association of South Africa), Famous Brands, Bokomo, HiPP Organic, Russell Hobbs, Men's Health Magazine, Media 24 and Willowton group.
Targeted Positions – Registered Dietitian with special interest in Marketing
Summary of Advanced Skills
- Food and Nutritional Consulting to the public
- Nutritional Information Management
- Food Labelling
- Writing and Editing for Magazines and Publications
- Public Relations and Media Appearances
- Identifying Food Related Marketing Opportunities
- Consulting Dietitian for CANSA and the CANSA Smart choice Seal
- Honorary Member of the Association for Dietetics in South Africa (ADSA)
- Registered Dietitian (#DT 0006459)
- Registered Member of the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA)
- Registered Member of the Allied Health Professions Council of South Africa
- CANSA Representative on the ADSA (Association for Dietetics in South Africa) National Committee
Consulting Clients, include:
In addition to the above have many other high profile local and international brand FMCG, food retail, quick service restaurant and health insurance clients.
- Independent Nutrition Consultant and Business Owner, Nutrition Communications Agency, 03.2002 to present.
- Consultant in Clinical Nutrition, Nestle, 2001/2.
- Nutrition Consultant and Contracted Lecturer (Freelance), 1999/2000.
- Regional Dietitian and Medical Representative, Abbott Laboratories, 1999.
- Nutrition Centre Manager, Stellenbosch University, 1997/8.
- Regional Dietitian and Medical Delegate/Nutrition Advisor Nestle Medical and Dietetic Division, 1995/97
- Senior Dietitian, Cape Provincial Administration, 1991 to 1995.
Current Professional Activities
Overview - Consulting dietitian to food industry organizations, media organizations with an interest in health and nutrition, health focused non-profit organizations such as the Cancer Association (CANSA) – dietitian for CANSA, and to individuals.
- Corporate Consulting, "Expert" Roles – Member of Expert Panel for retailer Clicks' (www.clicks.co.za) customer magazine as their Nutrition Expert, Nutrition Editor for Men's Health Magazine (www.menshealthsa.co.za); Consulting to international companies - regarding food, new products, labelling, nutritional analyses, marketing and public relations. Consulting to large local food producers, retailers and quick-service restaurant chains like Famous Brands– identifying health and nutrition-related opportunities, performing analyses, writing reports, handling public relations and marketing initiatives.
- Performing nutritional and food labelling analyses and providing companies with reports and reporting findings as required to the National Department of Health: Food Directorate. Non Profit Organizations – Filling the role of Dietitian and ADSA (Association for Dietetics) Spokesperson for the Cancer Association of South Africa for initiatives such as the "CANSA Smart Choices" project, assessing products according to set criteria.
- Involved in the committee for development of the ‘South African Food Based Dietary Guidelines for the 0-7 year old group and published Journal articles in the peer-reviewed Journal of Maternal and Child Nutrition on the Paediatric Dietary Guidelines.
- National President (2004 to 2006) of the Association for Dietetics in South Africa – comprising 1 500 dietitians, responsible for promoting and growing the organization. Also served previously on the Executive Committee in regional and national leadership roles (see www.adsa.org.za)
- Lecturing – Developing material for accredited nutritional and fitness courses offered by the Exercise Teachers Academy (ETA-http://www.etasa.co.za); Developing and presenting nutritional courses at the Cape Institute for Allied Health Studies on Nutrition; Lecturing in Food Technology at the Cape Peninsula University of Technology; Lecturing at corporate workshops for Nestle; Lecturing at the Zevenwacht Chef School in Food Science, Microbiology, Food & Recipe Costing, Management, Nutrition.
- Private Practice – Advising individual patients with various health issues including heart disease, cancer, diabetes, gastrointestinal diseases, obesity, ADHD, etc, sports nutrition, speaking at schools, performing food demonstrations.
Some of her achievements in the last couple of years include:
- March 2013: Masters in Nutrition at Stellenbosch University.
- 5-8 September 2012: Presented research on “An Evaluation of Knowledge of Current Trends of Omega-3 (n-3)
Supplementation in Parents of Children at Public Primary Schools in the City of Cape Town, South Africa” at the 16th
International Congress of Dietetics, Sydney, Australia.
- Ran 2 Two Oceans half marathons, in aid of raising funds for the SPCA (2012, 2013).
- 31 January 2012: Co-authored CANSA’s Life is Beautiful Book (2012). 8 October 2010: Awarded Runner-up for the Galliova
Health Writer’s Award 2010, awarded for health articles in written and electronic media in South Africa.22 September 2010:
Summitted Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa’s Highest Mountain and the World’s Highest Free-standing mountain, in aid of raising
funds for the SPCA, and for CANSA.
- 2009-2010: Invited to be Key Opinion Leader (KOL) for Pro-Active Heath Seeker Platform for Nestle, South Africa.
- 2008: An invited speaker for the 15th International Congress of Dietetics, Yokohama, Japan on “Merging consumer nutrition education trends in South Africa”.
- 2007: One of two South African dietitians invited to Nestle, Vevey, Switzerland.
- 2006: Nominated for the ADSA/Flora award (where ‘A DIETITIAN WHO OVER THE PAST 5 YEARS HAS MADE AN OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION IN THE FIELD OF DIETETICS AND TO THE DIETETIC PROFESSION’).
- 2006: One of 25 African nutritionists accepted into the African Nutrition Leadership Programme (ANLP).
- 2005: Top Pastry student at Capsicum Culinary Studio, Cape Town. Passed cum laude.
- 2004-2006: National President for the ASSOCIATION FOR DIETETICS IN SOUTH AFRICA (ADSA) for the 2004 – 2006 term of office, 1994-2006: on the Executive Committee of ADSA.
- 2000-2006: She served on the Editorial Board for the South African Journal of Clinical Nutrition (SAJCN).
- 1994-2011: Successfully Completed 11 Pick ‘n Pay Argus Cycle Tours.
Qualifications and Education
- Masters Degree in Nutrition (M Nutrition), University of Stellenbosch, South Africa, 2013. Modules for Masters in Nutrition: – Nutritional Status Diagnostics; Nutritional Epidemiology and Statistics; Ethics in Nutrition; Entrepreneurship; Quality Assurance. Thesis - "An Evaluation of Knowledge and Current Trends of Omega-3 (n-3) Supplementation in Parents of Children at Public Primary Schools in the City of Cape Town."
- International Chefs Diploma: Chef d' Pâtisserie (cum laude), City & Guilds, 2005.
- Post Graduate Degree in Marketing, University of South Africa, 2003. Major Subjects – Consumer Oriented Marketing Communication; Marketing Research; Strategic Marketing Management; Business Management.
- Bachelor of Sciences Degree in Dietetics (BSc Dietetics), University of the Free State, 1990 Registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (Reg. number: DT0006459).
- Other – Diploma in Therapeutic Aromatherapy, Cape Institute for Allied Health Professionals, 2002, Registered with the Allied Health Professions Council of South Africa (Reg. number: A4237).
- Secondary Schooling, St Michaels School, Bloemfontein, South Africa, 1986.
- Life is Beautiful Booklet, CANSA Publication, 2012.
- Layman's Advice Articles (Magazines) – ongoing - Men's Health, Clicks Club Card, Edgars Club magazine, Foschini Club magazine, Bicycling, Femina, Fair Lady, You Baby, Joy, Life, Sarie, Cape Town's Child, Johannesburg's Child, www.beingsam.co.za , www.cansa.org.za (2000-2013).
- Scientific Publications – The Corporate Health Journal. Allergies. 2001; "Directions" in the South African Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2000 – 2002 & 2004-2006; Articles for the Journal of Maternal and Child Nutrition, 2007.
- Book Contributions – Child Health for All, 2001; Nutrition Chapters in 6 training manuals for the Exercise Teacher’s Academy, 2005 to 2009.
Key Strengths and Abilities
- Well-developed goal setting, organizational, scheduling and planning skills.
- Managerial skills.
- Hands-on, practical lecturing/teaching style.
- Public Relations Management, Sponsorship, Funding.
- Compiles course material, lesson plans, tests and examinations continuously ensuring that the curriculum is relevant at all times.
- Able to represent a company, organization or department externally.
- Liaises and negotiates effectively at all levels.
- Confident and persuasive presentation skills.
- Application of very high personal academic standards.
- Build sound relationships based on performance, trust and integrity